Important Things to Know About Applying for NC MFT Licensure
- Licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist in North Carolina requires a minimum of a master’s degree in marriage and family therapy or master’s in a related degree with required coursework* and a passing score on the National MFT Examination.
- An application for licensure may be submitted for review once you have passed the National MFT Exam.
- Applications for licensure will not be scheduled for Board review until all requirements have been confirmed (Education, verified official transcript with degree conferment posted, National MFT Exam passing score verification, and Experience, clinical and supervision hours earned at time of application).
- If you have not passed the National MFT Exam or previously submitted to the Board an Application for National MFT Exam, click on the quick Link on exam application Quick Link or see the Forms section. Complete the application and submit. Refer to the calendar for application due dates.
The Board does not pre-evaluate or recommend programs/universities.
* Required Coursework (semester hours) – See the Application – NC MFT License for course requirements:
(a) Training required for an applicant with a related degree in G.S. 90-270.54(1)a is a graduate degree that includes marriage and family therapy content including coursework in theoretical foundation of marriage and family therapy, assessment and diagnosis, practice of marriage and family therapy; human development and family relations; professional identity and ethics, clinical research, and supervised clinical practicum or internship.
(b) Applicants who were enrolled in a master’s degree program on or before October 1, 2011 shall also be considered for licensure with coursework that includes specific marriage and family therapy content including coursework in general family studies, marriage and family therapy theory, psychopathology/abnormal behavior, theories of personality, and supervised clinical practicum or internship.
- Applicants must submit the current application posted on this website (www.nclmft.org). ‘Old’ application forms will not be accepted.
- Applications must be typed (information may be entered directly on the application form, printed and submitted). Be sure to retain a copy of all submissions to the Board.
- Applications need to be filled out in their entirety and mailed to the address provided for submittal.
Note:In order to save this form you will need to download the form and save it using Adobe Reader. You can download Adobe Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/.
Once you have Adobe Reader installed you will be able to type directly into the text fields. Adobe Reader will not allow data to be saved upon exit of the program. You should print forms BEFORE exiting the form.
Mail Submissions To:
NC MFT Licensure Board, 201 Shannon Oaks Circle, Suite 200, Cary, NC 27511
- Refer to the Calendar 2016 – License Application and Board Meetings for submission, review and notification deadlines.
- All applicants must have a degree from a regionally accredited university which is defined as at least one of the following: Southern Association of Schools and Colleges (SACS), Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WACS), Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges (MSCHE), North Central Association of Schools and Colleges (NCA-HLC), New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC-CIHE).